- The instillation of hope: Seeing others process and recover during their treatment gives hope to group members who are in different stages of their treatment.
- Universality: Connecting with others who have a shared experience helps group members realize they are not alone in their struggle.
- Imparting Information: Helping other group members by sharing and reflecting on their own experiences.
- Altruism: Helping group members recognize their own confidence by helping others realize their strengths.
- Catharsis: By sharing pain, experiences and feelings with the group will help relieve guilt or stress.
Group therapy has many benefits including creating a community, gaining coping skills, finding and becoming a role model, having a safe haven and is cost effective. Group therapy can be the right choice for you if you feel alone in your struggle and want to connect with others.